Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Taking the Next Steps. Need feedback!!!

Good day for all.

First I want to say thanks for all the support given to Debbie Kendall and her story yesterday. All of you readers give us a purpose and your support is greatly and deeply appreciated. I feel very connected to all of you. THANK YOU!!!
You may know this page started as a therapy for me. Messages of support and encouragement motivated me to keep going and to invest more time. Well, today as the page progresses I am progressing too. My wife still proof reads my postings but I'm doing it more independently. This is evidence of how repetition heals the brain.
Many people that suffer the struggles of a Traumatic Brain Injury, directly or indirectly, have approached me and expressed their interest in sharing their story too. Many of them as a result of their injury find it very difficult to write. Others either don't possess the skills or the time to effectively express in writing what they want to share. After brainstorming on new means for those that find it difficult to write I have decided to integrate video blogging. I'm thinking that many will be sort of an interview with them to facilitate and guide them in telling their story. I hope this is something you would like. In addition, as you may know, I have a speech fluency problem. By doing the videos it will help me in the employment of my fluency strategies. I am planning on posting videos twice a week, on Thursdays and Fridays. What do you think?
The experience of sharing my perspective with you is humbling to me. And what is more impacting for my life is knowing that you support me. Thank you for this opportunity. It is very gratifying and I hope you feel the same.
Brain injuries happen so often, that it makes awareness really important. Some studies show that a brain injury occurs every 15 seconds in the United Stated, some others say every 23 seconds. Regardless of how many seconds an injury occurs, what's important is that it happens extremely often. It doesn't discriminate. It can happen to you or someone you know. That's why I share my perspective. Like some of you have expressed to me, know the survivors perspective sometimes is more useful than what the book says. I encourage you to learn more about brain injuries, strokes and spinal injuries. It can happen at anytime to anyone.
Any feedback or ideas are greatly appreciated. Please either post them here or email them at vmedina@tbiwarrior.com.
Have a good day.
"IT WILL ALL GET BETTER"
www.tbiwarriors.blogspot.com

7 comments:

  1. I think that sounds great! Whether reading your blog entries or watching your video blogs, you know I support you. I think it's a wonderful opportunity to continue to tell your story and share the stories of others. You are a tremendous source of empowerment for all sorts of people.
    My Dad had a stroke in June that almost killed him. He's lucky enough that he is recovering and will make a full recovery. Anyone who thinks this cannot happen to them is mistaken. My Dad is 62 years old and when he first went to the emergency room, even the doctors didn't know he was having a stroke. Anything we can do to create awareness benefits everyone.
    Much love to you and your wife! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are brave! More power to you! Having speech difficulty after a brain injury, I can tell you that it would be awfully hard for me to do a video blog. It will only continue help you. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll see if this works today for me.
    I think the video idea is a great one. You and your wife come up with some really good stuff. I just finished put your story into the Newsletter and we put your wifes in too.
    Great work and keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that sounds wonderful, and a brilliant idea to get the speech and then the fluency improving. I know you are a soldier and scheduling everything is important for you, but maybe, when you feel like it, or when it is necessary rather than on certain days? Just my thoughts.
    But hey, go for it! Thanks for all the support yesterday. Everybody has been lovely to me and I have more friends! Do lots of practice under no pressure for a few weeks first? Maybe? Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victor, that's an excellent idea! BTW, is it possible for you to add Twitter as a comment option? Google is a PITA for me sometimes. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vlogging is a great idea. Currently, my boyfriend, reads aloud to a mirror and into a voice recorder. It helps tremendously to hear your voice back though sometimes not so fun. I don't know if I can talk him into more interaction at this point but will certainly give it a try! Can't wait to watch your transformation. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I encourage you to be easy with yourself all through the process. Writing things down makes it eaiser (for many, like me) to communicate, since we can edit, and we can almost "create" new identities -- the kinds we want most to project. Video blogging is a bold step filled with courage. Don't give up and don't let anyone take away your successes and victories.

    Bon courage.

    BB

    ReplyDelete